You guys, I never ever thought I would say such a thing, but we let some animals move in and take over our lives! We have like 26 chickens, a cow named Knucklehead and a cat named Howard. The cat and 7 of those chickens are supposed to take care of any and all snakes. They are paying their rent! as for the other 19, well, some will grow up to be cute (silkies) and the others to produce eggs. I wont eat them, and I refuse to eat them, but the kids and Jase and hopefully some of our lucky ranch
family will never have to buy eggs again!
We bought an incubator and carefully placed each egg by type of chicken in to their categories. All I knew was that the silkies were in the bottom right. We waited anxiously for those 21 days. I watched over them like a dumb mother hen and threatened my kids not to even touch the incubator. I would hold them up and dangle them in the air to see in there. I watched the temperature, the humidity, you name it and I was right there telling Jase to increase, decrease, but don't let those dang chickens die.
The day came when my first was born. He came early, a whole two days early. Prompt, I like that. He was my silkie and he was yellow, and already had fuzz on his feet. He was mine! I loved him, what the heck? You guys, this is so weird.
The next day, about 5 more hatched then by day 21, we had 19 baby chicks just chirping their way towards happiness. Chirp, Chirp, Chirp. seriously, ALL. DAY. LONG! I guess they are cute so they can stay. We named the first born, LittleFoot. Bug got to name that one. Then we have Hatch, Indy, Buttercup, Michael, and a few poopybutt etc. from the little man who runs this place. We are on day 3 of them all living and chirping.....I guess they can stay.
Then came the dang cow. I say dang, because baby cows are thee cutest things to brace this earth. Their eyes and eyelashes are to DIE for! This one though, he got his name quickly, and its sticking because he is a jerk! The said little man who runs this house named him knucklehead. He makes us literally go stand him up to feed him. Not because he is hurt, or sad, or whatever, but because he is a man! Then...and THEN, when you are done feeding him, or pulling the bottle out to let more air into it, he quickly, very quickly, puts his head between your legs and whips his head up. He is a jerk. Oh, and I have also had to wash my sweats 3 times in the last 4 days. He wipes his milk beard all over me, only in my favorite pants though. He is a jerk. He is our knucklehead, don't touch him. I feel kinda bad for Knucklehead. His mom just left him. Stranded. Alone. probably because he head butted her. And for any of you newly nursing mom, those suckers are SO sore and SO tender. I bet she was pissed, and probably cried out in pain and bit her lip and was just pissed. But whatever, he is my crazy cow now!
No comments:
Post a Comment