Isn't it crazy how attached to animals you get? We had this sweet guy for about 6 weeks. He made a way into our heart and left a big fat stamp.
On Tuesday I was working out and noticed that the calves (Sweetheart and Knucklehead) didn't leave my front porch area pretty much all morning. Although this isn't a red flag, I decided to go out and say hello and give them their morning rub downs before I took them their milk. Knucklehead just stared at me out of concern and Sweetheart was curled up in a ball hall under the deck. I rubbed his back and noticed he was pretty hot, kind of like a fever. I also noticed he didn't even lift his head.
I ran to get some milk and he still didn't lift his head. Knucklehead barged in and wanted his milk so I took him around back so I could help the sick calf. I pulled him out and helped him stand up, where he immediately fell back down. With a broken heart, I pulled up a pumpkin (yes, we have yet to carve them from Halloween) and sat on it so I could prop his head up while holding the bucket...
Jase brought home an antibiotic and he was well enough to move about the yard by that night.
The same cycle happened through Friday morning. Only Friday morning he wouldn't even suck on his milk and was back to falling over when I picked him up. Jase brought home the bottle with a tube and we stuck it down to his belly for the next few feedings. We switched up the antibiotic after talking with the vet.
Sadly Saturday morning, it was so cold and so rainy. We found Sweetheart in the corner of the property and brought him up to the porch. We toweled him off and I sat with a heat lamp for about an hour or so. I bawled my eyes out just thinking of the outcome. I also froze my Hiney off since I was sweaty from a workout and went outside right after.
We decided to bring him inside so we weren't all miserable in the cold. Kendyl wanted to say a little prayer for him. In the prayer she said "Please bless Knucklehead won't be lonely" and I lost it. Literally not 5 minutes later he let out a big sigh and he was gone.
We cried like babies. Every single one of us.
Jase went a dug a hole with one working shoulder in the pouring rain. Knucklehead won't leave the corner where he last saw Sweetheart. Let me just say, he has never ever mooed. He is mooing up a storm. My heart is broken. We will forever miss that cow. We sound crazy. We live on a Ranch. But dang it, us ranchers care for these animals like family. We would never ever let them live in less that perfect conditions. Love you Sweetheart.....

No comments:
Post a Comment